Saturday, September 17, 2011

Referendum and Initiative

 A Direct Democracy is a form of democracy in which political power is exorcised directly by citizens. Just as the chapter reads, this is an example of direct gateways giving the people the opportunity to influence there government.
    Some of these gateways are in the form recalls, initiatives and referendum that vary state to state.I am not a native of Tennessee and, I was both shocked and appalled to learn that as a resident of Tennessee I did not have the rights as I did In Michigan. Michigan has both referendum and initiative rights for citizens while Tennessee has neither option. I immediately thought about a proposal that took place a few years back in Detroit. Proposal One and  Two were  hot button issues on the ballot. It was the citizens responsibility to decide whether or not to legalize Stem-cell research and medical marijuana. Later that year the votes were in and both proposals were passed. While researching  facts with family the issue touched i came across something interesting that really was not even a part of my original intent. I never will claim to know all i can about government and I am here to learn almost blindly, but i was curious onto how something like this could happen.
     In a conversation my grandmother spoke about a vote for capital punishment that took place some time back. She remembers her vote and why she voted and the out come of the ballot. Capital punishment was voted into the state laws. She went on to say that this was short lived and that soon there after legislature repealed the vote and decided against it. How does this happen? How can something on the ballot be removed after the people have decided whether for or against it. This is not a rhetorical question, but something that i am truly interested to know. So any one that has the answer share it with me, share it with others that may not know as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment